Monday, September 26, 2011 Habitrail OVO Loft Cage - 27 in. x 12 in. x 10 in. high Review
Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I have two little boys who are the absolute apples of my eye (seriously, I've only had them a little over a month and I am completely wrapped around their little paws), and I decided this would be a wonderful cage for them. I knew it would be big, and since I wanted to house my boys together I planned on attaching a smaller cage to the setup to give them more space.
So I've had it for a month now, and I think it's time to review!
PROS:
Roomy - plenty of space for one dwarf hamster, or two with an add-on.
Easy to assemble/disassemble for cleaning.
Easy to clean - few corners means it's easy to wipe down.
No wires for Houdini's, very secure when shut up.
CONS:
Water bottle - it's at an awkward angle for my Dwarf Hamsters. I can't imagine how on earth Syrians are supposed to use it! If you purchase the standard metal tube water bottle from your pet store you can rest it in the hole for the built in water bottle and tape it into place. I would encourage you to do this, as it leaks when you jiggle it trying to get it in and out of the little slot. Scared the bajeesus out of me, because I thought my hamster had wet tail. Turned out he was only wet from hanging out beneath the bottle!
Very expensive - while it's a very well-made product, it's rather pricey.
Uneven bottom - the bottom is ridged so that you can use the included cardboard maze and the wheel/food dish assembly. This also means if you try to have 2 wheels, one of them is going to be at an angle all the time (at least the way I had to have mine set up; my boys refused to use both wheels unless they were feng shui'd to their habitat - no joke!).
Sometimes the orange doors don't slide down all the way, usually when the water bottle is attached - it's heavy! Make sure you always double check that the door has clicked into place!
SUMMARY:
It's pretty, but also pretty expensive when you consider you should replace the water bottle and the wheel, and purchase a food dish. However I'm very happy with this cage. It has plenty of room for the boy who lives there now (had to separate due to fighting), and except for the water bottle issue I've had no major problems. I would highly recommend this cage to anyone who has cats - it's very sturdy, and as long as the cats can't knock it over your hammie will not escape.
CAUTION:
I would not recommend this product for anything larger than a Russian Dwarf Hamster; it's very spacious, but the water bottle in the OVO line of products is too unwieldy for the hamster and the owner. I can't imagine how a Syrian is supposed to use the water bottle!
Click Here to see more reviews about: Habitrail OVO Loft Cage - 27 in. x 12 in. x 10 in. high
Product Description:
Futuristic small pet cage design is simple and easy to clean. Enhanced visibility, air flow and access to your pet makes Habitrail's OVO Loft the ideal cage solution for your small pet. A unique top steel grill allows for easy top opening. Raised food dishes stop waste from entering food. Compatible with all Habitrail accessories. Includes2 Windows (Red)Food DishCozy Hide AwayWater BottleLock ConnectorInteractive Chewable Maze
Want to buy Habitrail OVO Loft Cage - 27 in. x 12 in. x 10 in. high at other amazon sites? Click the corresponding icon below: